I wonder if it would be beneficial for me to join a women's support group. How can we ever be okay with the things that have happened to us when we don't know that we are not alone? 1 in 4 women will be sexually assaulted or raped at some point in her life. 25% of us. This is a sobering statistic. I am not alone, you are not alone and as long as we keep quiet about our experience, we never have the opportunity to change an experience for someone else. I was raped. It is hard for me to even semi-anonymously write this in a blog that very few read. But it happened. And it's taken me a very long time to come to terms with this experience in my life having not been my fault and not being a defining characteristic of who I am. I am the sum of all of my experiences and how I have healed, not the sum of this one. And though I still have episodes and triggers, I am okay, better, stronger. It is so important to have meaningful relationships with women in our lives. We come to better understand our own experiences through the sharing and hearing of others' experiences.
At some point I'll be a well adjusted adult who makes wise decisions. This is a documentation of my journey, my detours, my story and what will ultimately lead to the completion of my meaningful life project.
Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Being alive and being a woman is all I got
This is such a beautiful, poignant film about the trials a woman is statistically predisposed to face in her life. I recommend any woman, whether or not she has found herself if a compromised place in her life, to watch this. It's poetry in film, it's life in poetry, it's purely and simply one of the most beautiful films I have seen. Ever.
I wonder if it would be beneficial for me to join a women's support group. How can we ever be okay with the things that have happened to us when we don't know that we are not alone? 1 in 4 women will be sexually assaulted or raped at some point in her life. 25% of us. This is a sobering statistic. I am not alone, you are not alone and as long as we keep quiet about our experience, we never have the opportunity to change an experience for someone else. I was raped. It is hard for me to even semi-anonymously write this in a blog that very few read. But it happened. And it's taken me a very long time to come to terms with this experience in my life having not been my fault and not being a defining characteristic of who I am. I am the sum of all of my experiences and how I have healed, not the sum of this one. And though I still have episodes and triggers, I am okay, better, stronger. It is so important to have meaningful relationships with women in our lives. We come to better understand our own experiences through the sharing and hearing of others' experiences.
I wonder if it would be beneficial for me to join a women's support group. How can we ever be okay with the things that have happened to us when we don't know that we are not alone? 1 in 4 women will be sexually assaulted or raped at some point in her life. 25% of us. This is a sobering statistic. I am not alone, you are not alone and as long as we keep quiet about our experience, we never have the opportunity to change an experience for someone else. I was raped. It is hard for me to even semi-anonymously write this in a blog that very few read. But it happened. And it's taken me a very long time to come to terms with this experience in my life having not been my fault and not being a defining characteristic of who I am. I am the sum of all of my experiences and how I have healed, not the sum of this one. And though I still have episodes and triggers, I am okay, better, stronger. It is so important to have meaningful relationships with women in our lives. We come to better understand our own experiences through the sharing and hearing of others' experiences.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment