Friday, January 4, 2013

One Very Long Paragraph Rant on Life Plans

As much as it pains me to say this.  I think it is best if I don't apply for more internships before December of this year.  It seems like my absolute best course of action is to cool my heels at my current suck the life out of me customer service gig through the end of summer, save enough so that I don't have to work through the fall semester, bolster my credit hours for fall and be completely ready to take on an internship in the Spring next year.  This way I'll have time to focus 100% on my school work, get my grades up high enough for an honors thesis and have time to work on said honors thesis.  Clearly I'm a great candidate, both people who interviewed told me so.  After next fall not only will I have GIS classes, but I'll also have some graduate level coursework, explicitly transportation planning coursework.  I will be a dynamite candidate in a year.  A year is nothing, really, when you get down to the nitty gritty of it.  And though I really passionately dislike my soul-sucking customer service gig, I chose banking so at least I'd have bank holidays.  If I have to work customer service, I want my effing bank holidays and vacation time.  I've already requested time off in January, March, May and July.  I can always call in a mental health day in the months I couldn't request time off in.  I'll get through it.  I just have to be diligent about sticking to my budget and not spending money not accounted for ahead of time.  My goal is to quit early August.  So the countdown begins, 7 more months of soul-sucking customer service potentially for the rest of time.  When I add in the rest of time bit I can handle the 7 months part.  And each month goes by so quickly.  This will give me a reason to start looking forward to paying rent.  Each rent check I cut is another month closer to reaching my goals and starting on a new journey.  If I have to pick up another customer service gig in January I can but I anticipate taking 18 credit hours in the fall and work will not work with that.  A break from work will be good anyway.

At any rate, I'll stop publicly musing about my possible life plans at this point.  It seems reasonable that I maybe just ranted for a very long paragraph...

No comments:

Post a Comment