Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Losing patience with the bus

What. A. Night.

The bus.  It was a nightmare today.  The district decided (for very good reasons) to implement an electronic card system for its college pass and will be rolling it out for many other uses later.  But the shit hole bus that serves my underserved route, which is rarely on time, always overcrowded, driven by a consistently cranky and or rude driver, and most definitely always dirty has not had a working card reader all week.  NBD, the drivers are either incompetent or uncaring because they always just let me on anyway.  This evening, I got on the bus to go downtown.  Everything was normal.  The bus got there on time (according to Google maps, RTD's site listed that it was scheduled 10 minutes later than Google said it would be) I boarded, the card reader worked, it was not overcrowded and relatively quiet.  Then.  All hell breaks loose when the driver is directed to take a detour.  Some lady freaks out about it and starts pacing the aisle, talking to the driver and calling someone on the phone.  Consequently, at the same time, the drunk, cracked out couple behind me started singing at the top of their lungs.  This prompts phone lady to shush them which prompts female drunk cracked out lady to get out of her seat and threaten to kick phone lady's ass.  I happen to be sitting in front of crack seat and across the aisle from phone lady so I'm thoroughly uncomfortable with the whole mess.  It calms down, I move to the front I exclaim (under my breath) "what the fuck" the driver hears me, chastises me for my language, crack lady gets in phone lady's face 1 or 2 more times within the seemingly endless detour.  I decide I'll get off earlier than planned but crack couple decides they're getting off there too so I decide I'll wait and then they don't get off there and then I get downtown.  I have 15 minutes to walk 5 blocks, pickup and pay for a prescription and walk 2 more blocks to catch my bus home. I all but sprint to make it and my bus home is consequently 10 minutes late.  FML

The good news is I was so worn out by the whole thing I decided not to cook for myself and go to the opening night of the highly anticipated opening restaurant across the street and that was, by far, the best decision I have made all night.

Alls well that ends well.

No comments:

Post a Comment