Yesterday, a platonic acquaintance who I followed on Pinterest posted a meme of Willy Wonka saying "so all of you peace loving Christian haters are protesting chick-fil-a? Will you all be refusing your Christmas presents?" There are so many incorrect statements in two sentences, I just cringed at the ignoramus statement she had attached herself to. And if someone actually believes that all of these things are true, I have a hard time keeping my association with them. What a misguided thing to say out loud.
Let me start with Christmas. It was not until very recently in history that Christmas even became a Christian thing. Jesus wasn't even born until something like June. Christmas aligns with the middle winter holiday to make the conversion of Paganism to Christianity more fluid. If you are interested, dear reader, in know the true history of Christmas here is a link to a great article from The History Channel. So the notion that a non-Christian should not accept his or her Christmas presents because they don't celebrate Christmas under the Christian tradition is an asshole thing to say. For years now, I have been celebrating the winter holiday and the spring holiday as those things. The winter holiday gives me an opportunity to celebrate and thank the friends and family who have been a positive influence in my life throughout the year and the spring holiday allows me to celebrate the end of winter and the start of spring and summer. The ignorance of other people wears me down and makes me sad for them. How terrible it must be to live in a world of ignorance and hate and how very selfish.
The next portion of this that exasperates me is that the Chick-Fil-A protesters are somehow also Christian haters. Really? This doesn't even require a response because it's the most asinine thing I have read all week.
Why is it so easy for people to sit so blissfully in their ignorant opinions? I realize that the world is not just like me but I can't imagine forming a strong and emotional opinion about an issue without considerable research into both sides of the issue.
I love the feeling of starting a school year in the fall. It makes me feel reminiscent of childhood. There is a certain amount of anticipation that comes with fall for me. I am starting to feel it in the air. The August air starts to feel very humid and hot, school shopping commences, and the countdown the brown leaves, cool and crisp air, pumpkins and apples, football and school start. MMM...I LOVE IT!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment