Sunday, February 5, 2012

I Needed A Job And Here We Are

I want to take a moment to talk about my future and how I embody the person it is that I truly believe I want to be. I want to be someone who stands up for what I believe in, who isn't afraid to hear all sides of the story and re-examine my own thoughts and feelings, and someone who is not blatantly hypocritical in my own beliefs. This means that I can not and will not advise people in the terms of love to allow men to do the things I allow them to do to me. My range of tolerance in terms of a romantic partner has tightened immensely.

Moving on to the important things. I am going to be successful in my life and I will not settle for less than I know I am able to accomplish and I know I am able to accomplish anything I truly desire to accomplish. On that note, however, I need not be afraid to scrap plans that are not working and try new things. I need to never let spent cost keep me from moving onto something whose opportunity cost outweighs what I am doing now. Because in the end my life will be a fantastic story and if I allow myself to fall in line with what others want me to be I become dull, un-animated, my characteristics which make me who I am fall away and I become a shell of who I know I am. It's the saddest thing I have ever allowed myself to experience and I can not, and will not do it again.

I truly believe that lying within my generation is a new level of hope and idealism about what the world can be. There are so many grassroots movements across the country to step in where political leaders fail us. People who start community gardens on unused land plots so that inner-city residents do not fall prey to a food desert environment and that kids have an opportunity to dig their hands in the dirt and plant a seed and literally experience the fruits of their time and labor. It's no longer in the abstract but something they can feel and experience. Experience, really, is the best thing we can do for ourselves. Far too often we spend on things. We throw things away, we spend more to store them, we get fat on our things. Why? Why not use our resources to create memories. Memories are not thrown out when new memories are added, we are not constantly keeping up with the Jones' memories but creating our own and finding happiness in what we have instead of seeking fulfillment in those things we have not. People are creating bakeries, and gardens and playhouses and coffee joints and places to rebuild the idea of community because we know from watching our parent's and grandparent's ruin the idea of community that it is the epicenter of the survival or our society. We must crash into each other and learn from each other's differences instead building walls around our units and lapsing into an identity which is afraid of our neighbors.

I can change the world by building communities. I have finally come across the way that I can contribute to the world we live in and change it for the better and it is through city and community planning. It feels so amazing to be truly be passionate, still, about what I want to do with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment